My guest on this episode of Increase Your Impact was Randy McRae. During the interview, Randy and I discuss the importance of forming our own opinions, being open-minded and gathering as much information as possible in the context of discussions and debates. We both feel that this is an important skill that is becoming more and more rare in today’s social media dominated world. Randy is a Founding Partner of McRally Accountants & Advisors, a Cloud Accounting firm based in Calgary, and is someone who is always happy to share his opinions and have a healthy debate.
Some highlights from the Interview (full Show Notes are below)
- Why it is important to cultivate an attitude of professional skepticism
- The benefits of being open-minded and gathering opinions from all sides of a debate
- The importance of differentiating between facts and opinions
- Introduction & Welcome (00:00)
- What have you been noticing about the level of discourse in our society today? (02:35)
- How do you go about forming a personal and unbiased opinion? (16:20)
- Read multiple sources, even those you don’t agree with!
- How do you cultivate a sense of open-mindedness? (19:40)
- Community plays a big role, surround yourself with open-minded people
- What are some strategies you’ve used for getting more comfortable sharing your opinion? (28:35)
- Stick to the facts, avoid personal attacks, control your emotions
- Are there any particular sources/news outlets you find particularly useful/unbiased (37:20)
- Audience Question – How do you tell the difference between original and sponsored content? (41:45)
- What does Impact mean to you? (45:20)
- What Impact do you want to have? (46:10)
- What is holding you back from making a bigger Impact? (47:15)
- Find out more about what Randy is up to on McRally’s Website, and you can also follow him on Twitter and LinkedIn!