In this solo episode of Increase Your Impact I share a little bit about my ongoing struggles with Distraction & Procrastination, and offer some tips and strategies for overcoming these productivity killing habits! I believe this is something we all struggle with from time to time, and I hope that you will find the advice helpful!
- Introduction & Welcome (00:00)
- What are your go-to distractions? (01:20)
- What are some strategies for overcoming distractions? (02:20)
- Just start doing your planned task – work for five minutes, write 100 words, etc.
- Have a basic plan to follow, to-do list, etc.
- It’s ok to take some breaks along the way, the keyword is SOME!
- Pomodoro Technique
- Website Blockers like Cold Turkey
- Develop a Morning Routine – Jeff Sanders and The 5 AM Miracle is great for some ideas
- Develop Mindfulness and Awareness of your Distraction/Procrastination Habits
- Zen Habits has some great advice on how to get better at this
- Take some time to reflect on your priorities, ask yourself, “Is this something I really want to be doing? What is this for? Why is it important to me?” (11:40)
- It’s ok to let things go!
- For a lighthearted look on this topic check out Tim Urban’s TED Talk and Blog Posts on Why Procrastiantors Procrastinate (14:00)