In this episode I was joined by Marin McCue, the founder of dope(a)me, a coaching and training business in Calgary. She is also a spin-master, yoga teacher and intention setter extraordinaire. Marin and I discuss the fascinating subject of Happiness Chemicals and how we can train ourselves to produce more of them naturally to lead happier and healthier lives.
The show notes and links mentioned during this episode are listed at the bottom of the page.
Full Blab Replay:
- Topic Introduction – Happiness Chemicals (3:20)
- What got you interested in Happiness Chemcicals? (4:18)
- Used to greatly help in getting over depression over the past eight years
- Really inspired by the book Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School
- Dopamine (8:23)
- Feels like pleasure and motivation or getting things done
- Set goals/actions, and complete them!
- Exercise really helps to produce it – Check out Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain
- Serotonin (11:50)
- Social connection, being respected
- Let go of comparison, acknowledge what you are proud of
- Oxytocin (13:00)
- The love hormone, feeling of being safe, needed, heard
- Endorphin (14:15)
- Not technically a happy chemical, the feeling of euphoria that masks pain
- Too much happy chemicals can be a bad thing (15:20)
- Especially applies to the “happiness” we get from consuming sugars and fat
- Our brain evolution hasn’t caught up to how bountiful our food supply is now
- Brain can be rewired, all about habit change!
- Cortisol (18:45)
- Stress/fear hormone. Keeps us protected, but too much is bad.
- Evolution hasn’t caught up to the fact that we don’t have to worry about predators constantly, so our brain interprets other items as danger.
- Dope-Web (20:30)
- Tool to remind you of what brings you joy and spurts of happy chemicals
- Web of the people, places and activities that cheer you up
- Suggested reading – books & resources (25:30)
- Marin’s list of recommended books
- The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
- Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
- The Hour Between Dog and Wolf: Risk Taking, Gut Feelings and the Biology of Boom and Bust
- What does Impact mean to you? (29:55)
- What Impact do you want to have in the world? (31:25)
- How has your focus on happy chemicals helped you increase your impact? (32:20)
- What is currently holding you back from making a bigger impact? (33:55)
- Where is Marin up to right now? (36:02)